CHURCH FENTON HERITAGE
The first recorded mention of Fenton as a settlement was in 963 when King Edgar gave a grant of land to Aeslec of Sherburn. He in turn probably gave this to St Peter’s of York, as by 1030 it is included in the Archbishop’s estate.
Jumping to the thirteenth Century, England was ruled by King Henry III – first of the Plantagenents. The country was only just emerging out of conflict and life for the ordinary folk would have been a terrible struggle. At this point in time, our village was clearly developing in an ecclesiastical context as by 1216 Archbishop (of York) Walter de Gray created a new parish here, and Pope (Honorius III) confirmed de Gray’s decision that same year. This development clearly brought about the building of St Mary the Virgin, research into the fabric of the building demonstrates that the earliest parts of the building were commenced between 1225 and 1250.
Around the Church there are various buildings (some of which are listed but others which are not – but most probably should be). As part of our Neighbourhood Plan work we are identifying the historic core of our village and are keen for any future planning decisions around this area take into consideration our heritage assets before making a decision to build.
Our aim is to create a Conservation Area, we will keep you updated.